THIS IS ANCIENT VERSION OF CALCULLA.COM LEFT HERE FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES.
ALL CALCULATORS SHOULD STILL WORK, BUT YOU CAN'T BE SURE. WE ALSO DON'T UPDATE THEM, SO EXPECT OUTDATED INFO.
OUR SUGGESTION IS TO MOVE TO RECENT VERSION OF CALCULLA.COM BY CLICKING THE LINK: BMI
Calculator for finding out the BMI (Body Mass Index). Just enter your height and weight. The result is the BMI factor itself, but also the interpretation of the factor by WHO description (are you starving? or are you overweight?). It accepts metric units (centimeters and kilograms) or US-like units (feets, inches and pounds).
- BMI (body mass index) also known as Quetelet index - is used to estimate a healthy body weight based on a person's height, assuming an average body composition.
- Body mass index is defined as the individual's body weight divided by the square of height.
The formula is:
BMI = m / h2
m - body mass [kg]
h - body height [m]
The BMI factor is generally used as approximation of body fat level.
- High BMI (overweight and obese) causes increased risk for many diseases and/or health conditions, including the following (according to wikipedia):
- Dyslipidemia (for example, high LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- Some cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
- The BMI formula is simple: all inputs for the formula are just weight and height. It can be calculated quickly and without expansive equipment.
However BMI ignores many individual factors such as: frame size, muscularity, etc. It also ignores specific conditions of athlete, child, the elderly, the infirm, pregnant etc.
- BMI categories (according to BMI value):
- < 15 - starvation (very severely underweight)
- 15 - 17.5 - severely underweight
- 17.5 - 18.5 - underweight
- 18.5 - 25 - normal (BMI at desired level)
- 25 - 30 - overweight
- 30 - 35 - Obese Class I (moderately obese)
- 35 - 40 - Obese Class II (severely obese)
- > 40 - Obese Class III (very severely obese)
What is the meaning of each calculator field ?
- units - in first window, you can select the unit type. Do you want to put kilos and centimeters (most of the world)? or pounds and feet (uk/usa)?
- height - enter your height here, for example: 180.
- weigh - enter your weight here, for example: 70.
- BMI factor - at first place - the BMI number itself. The BMI displayed here is computed according to WHO standard formula.
- Which means - this is your BMI said in words. The description of your BMI is put here. For example: underweight.
- WHO classification table - all possible BMI classifications (according to WHO) are listed here. Your level is marked with special color.
How to use this tool
- Select which units type you want to use: metric (kilogrames and meters) or US-like (pounds, feet and inches).
- Then just put your height and weight into corresponding input fields.
- Read the resulting BMI factor. Read also the exact meaning of the factor from the table just below input fields.
|Which means(according to WHO)|
|WHO table position(World Health Organization)|
Links to external sites (leaving Calculla?)
Tags and links to this site
Tags to Polish version:bmi